Log in

No account? Create an account
09 December 2009 @ 11:48 pm
One of the worst days this year!  
Tuesday was an incredibly stressful day. I had my art history final at 12:45 Wednesday, and I didn't feel at all prepared. I hadn't even started memorizing the slides, which always takes at least an hour, and if I was asked a question about anything between 1920-1960 I was screwed. I felt confident about Pop Art, and that was about it. Everything else was just a blur.

So I studied, reading the textbook and taking notes on key terms. But I didn't feel confident, so I started texting my coworkers to see if someone could work my evening shift at Lush, but there were no takers. Everyone had their own plans for the evening, so what can you do? To work I would go.

By the late afternoon I was starting to really panic, because I hadn't even started my color pages save for a few concept sketches in a notebook. My throat had been feeling a little scratchy all day, but I had chalked this up to merely eating something incorrectly and being paranoid. But it was getting worse and worse as time went on. Now is not the time to get sick, I kept telling myself.

Work was nice enough. It was just myself and one other co-worker closing, and since she is not able to use the registers I was unable to leave the store, even during my unpaid break. This is in direct violation of California Labor Laws, so I'll have to talk to my manager about that. Anyway, it was busy enough that we weren't bored, but also busy enough that I couldn't go on a full half-hour lunch because I'd get called back out on the sales floor to ring. I had some fun customers. It was a good night...until I went out to my car and it wouldn't start. I would turn the key, and it would make a chakakakaka sound in the doors and dashboard, like the sound I'd imagine the speedometer would make if the numbers rolled over really quickly. Similar to fingers on a keyboard. Anyway. I got one of the security guards for the mall to come out and jump the car, and it started up so I hopped in and got ready to drive off. Well, that sucked since I was planning to work on my color pages after work ended I thought, but I've only lost about half an hour. Not so bad.

I noticed that my gas was ridiculously low so I went to the gas station across the street from the mall and pumped about $10 worth of gas in. Then my car would not start again. I was so frustrated; I mean, when I've jumped cars before there's usually enough juice in the thing that you can get a couple of trips out of it! My car isn't that old...the gas station's owner wouldn't help me jump the car, but said I should wait for the next customer. But no one was coming in, and I was standing outside in record-setting low temperatures FREEZING and waiting for someone to show up. After several minutes I called the coworker I knew lived closest to beg her for help, but luckily someone finally pulled into the gas station before she had to head over.

We get my car jumped and I'm able to drive off, thank goodness. At this point it's past 11pm and I'm SO FRUSTRATED and COLD OMG FREEZING that I just have to burst into tears and vent for a few minutes. Then I drove home, and as I'm driving down my street the lights in my car start flickering. I turn the engine off in front of my house, and it doesn't start up again. It doesn't even turn the radio on - this actually really weirds me out, that the radio won't turn on. So I'm going to have to jump the car again tomorrow morning, pray it makes it to school on time for my final, and then get someone at school to jump it for me. ARGH. Plus it's bedtime and I still haven't started my color pages.


Dad says I can use his car if I have to, but my brother's been sick with the flu so I end up borrowing his car to get to school the next day. My scratchy throat has blossomed into a full-on cold, so throughout my art history exam I am sniffling and frantically digging through my pockets to find tissues. Not my most glorious moment to say the least. I did OK on most of the questions, although the teacher pulled a Georgia O'Keefe slide out of nowhere that I didn't study, so that sucked. I also bombed the essay question pretty thoroughly - I couldn't remember any major Dada artists beside Duchamp and the lack of specific examples made my comparison of Dada and Pop pretty crummy. I got an A+ on the first exam and the artist bio, but a C on the term paper, so I think I'll get a B in that class. Bummer. Well, Modern Art is SO not my thing, so there!

The final class of color & design was pretty cool. If I hadn't been sick, it would have been epically awesome. There was hella food on the table, including takoyaki and eggrolls and all kinds of great stuff. (I didn't bring anything to the potluck. Oops.) We all gathered around one of the tables and showed off our completed notebooks. I did manage to finish all of my color pages in a desperate struggle between my art history final and the color class, but some of my pages were pretty sloppy and overall it just wasn't where I wanted it to be. But I can always take comfort, deep in my heart, that I am not technically an artist but an art historian so if my technical skills aren't on par with others, it's OK. (Besides, in my not-so-humble heart I like to think that I am at least holding my own in the class. I'm not the best but I'm not at the bottom of the heap, either.)
kerokerotab on December 11th, 2009 04:11 am (UTC)
poor suzi =( Hope everything is ok now. :::hugs:::
Suzik00kaburra on December 11th, 2009 04:40 am (UTC)
It's practically peaches and cream now :-p What say you to a Wednesday lunch or dinner? I believe I have the day off so I can meet you at lunch or after work to hang out :D Assuming I'm over my cold by then, which I better be!
kerokerotab on December 11th, 2009 05:03 am (UTC)
Wednesday lunch is probably better I think. Unless you wanna bring the boys to dinner and have them pay. hehe jk =)

Get well!!
Suzik00kaburra on December 12th, 2009 04:21 pm (UTC)
Cool let's do lunch and be like cool grownups :-p
Danny Darkosaru_kage on December 11th, 2009 05:58 am (UTC)
The problem with your car sounds like either your alternator went out, your battery went bad and won't hold a charge anymore, or you have corrosion on the battery terminal/in the battery cable which is keeping the battery from charging properly. They're all pretty simple fixes if you, or anyone you know is even remotely handy with auto mechanics.
Suzik00kaburra on December 11th, 2009 07:04 pm (UTC)
My dad took the car to a mechanic for me, who pronounced it a dead battery! I've never had a battery crash so suddenly on me...usually they die a slow and painful death. So that was weird!

But dad paid for the mechanic to change the battery out since I was feeling sick, so my car is back in action :D Woohoo!
Danny Darkosaru_kage on December 12th, 2009 06:17 am (UTC)
Well, I don't know how cold it is out there, but sometimes a sudden temperature drop can cause a failing battery to go completely. Of course, you live out by the Bay, so it's probably warmer than July right now. I would have put my money on a bad alternator from your description though. Always nice when it's the cheaper thing.
Suzik00kaburra on December 12th, 2009 04:19 pm (UTC)
You're right - we did have a string of record-breaking cold nights right before my battery went kaput! It's been super frigid the last week or two, although probably not by Colorado standards :-p Below 50 during the day and right below freezing at night probably doesn't sound so bad to you.
Danny Darkosaru_kage on December 13th, 2009 01:40 am (UTC)
So basically just like San Francisco is in the summer?
Suzik00kaburra on December 13th, 2009 07:57 am (UTC)

D'you know that Mark Twain never actually said "The coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Francisco?" I was heartbroken when I heard this. It's like a tiny chunk of my childhood crumbled away!

But brrrr. Like San Francisco summers, indeed!